These hands are the hands of my dear mother.
They were the first in my family, I would imagine,
to hold me.
These hands cared for me more times than can be counted.
They have wiped away tears,
and patted me on the back when I've accomplished something good.
These hands have bathed me, combed my hair, and dressed me.
These hands have cleaned our home,
prepared meals; washed, folded, and ironed
many loads of laundry.
My mother's hands have pressed together
in prayer, and they were used
to teach me how to pray.
I've witnessed these hands raised in praise!
These hands have aged, and now, when I'm with Mom,
I do some of the caring, like fixing her hair and cleaning for her,
But, though they've aged, they are still soft and loving,
Oh, how I love my Mom's hands!
These hands are the hands of my Father here on earth,
and they were likely the second family member to hold me
after I was born.
These hands have always been so strong, yet so loving.
I can remember these hands combing my hair,
making "Shirley Temple" or "banana" curls
when Mom had to work outside of our home.
These hands swallowed my own small child-sized ones
when we walked together,
yet, they were firm in discipline but never abuse.
These hands worked hard to provide a living
so our family could be fed, clothed, and have a house.
I've seen these hands folded in prayer many mornings
and I've seen these hands raised in praise to God.
Although age and a stroke have taken its toll on these hands,
they will always be strong to me.
Oh, how I love my Daddy's hands!
My parents' hands have worked hard in caring for me
throughout my childhood years,
but the greatest day of my life was when my
parents' hands let go
so I could be introduced to the
nail-scarred hands of Jesus Christ.
These hands (while not literally) are THE HANDS;
the ones that have helped me when even
the most loving of parents could not.
They are the STRONGEST HANDS
and my name is engraved on them,
written in red.
And one day, I shall hold these hands for myself.
More than any other hands here on earth,
I LOVE THESE HANDS!!



What a beautiful post! So thankful I can hold to God's unchanging hands.
ReplyDeleteMuch love!
Absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteGrateful to have been blessed to have those same hands in my life, even now.
We've touched the hands of God through the touch of our parents' hands.
Thank you for the honor you do them.
Love you, Sis.
Thanks, Brother, for your kind comments. Glad we have been blessed to be held, and now hold, these hands! Love you!
DeleteWhat an awesome post. (So miss my mom's hands ) What would we do without God's hands in our life. I love reading your post.
ReplyDeleteBut you forgot to put a picture of YOUR hands. Hands that have help mold and shape this ones life. You and Bro Mills are always dear to me. Thanks for ALL that you have done in my life. I will never forget your love and support.
Thank you, Cindy, for your kind words. We were blessed to be a part of your life. We'll always be grateful for you and your family. Love you!
DeleteThanks, Heidi, for your kind comments! Love you!
ReplyDelete