As long as I can remember life with Dad was fun because he loved living! He was an active man, who loved God and family. Dad loved to sing little songs, and often told us stories.
I remember one sad ballad he sang about a little girl named Kathy who fell into a well. I loved hearing this story/song even though it didn't end well. Dad had the ability to captivate his audience - and I was often that audience!
Dad had many little sayings. One favorite whenever we got into trouble was, "I'm gonna tear you up like a can of kraut!" That's pretty torn up, but it was a gentle way of reminding us to behave! Dad was a strong disciplinarian but never abusive. And, another one was, "I love you like a hog loves slop!" That meant we were REALLY LOVED!!! LOL!! He often sang a little ditty - "I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. I love you a bushel and a heap, a bushel and a heap and I'm walking in my sleep!"
I loved his stories of when he was young and all the mischief he and his brothers got into. Raised very poor, Dad grew up with a love for the simple things of life - family and fun. One animal that often showed up in his stories was a horse, and to this day, if he could he would still ride.
I grew up with two brothers - Dwight, who was older than I, and Casey, who was younger, but I've been "Daddy's girl" all my life! My heart is full of memories today. Dad was my hero; the strong man in my life. He taught me so many things about God as well as a host of other important things, and I still do my best to remember his lessons. I guess this blog post is a small taste of the life we all once knew before we all married and started our own families.
Miles separate us today so I can't hug Dad physically but I just want him to know (perhaps my brother, Casey, will share this post with him) just how much his presence in my life is appreciated. Life with Dad was a full life!

If you're concerned about the crazy display of Dad's pictures - join the crowd! I am quite techno-challenged. The layout may be wrong but my love is in the right place! LOL!
Love and many blessings to my favorite Daddy! Happy #82!
Your daughter,
Charlotte









No comments:
Post a Comment